Sunday

Splashing stream in pastel

The finished pastel painting  Splashing Stream  50 x 65 cm    ©Elizabeth Tyler 2021

Step 1.
Just a light sketch of the subject with a white watercolour pencil. Paper: Fabriano Tiziano Caffe.
Step 2.
Using Faber-Castell soft pastels I filled in the lightest areas of the water and
where the light catches the branches and twigs. Also the various blue and green tones were added.
Step 4.
I created some texture to the nearest stones by scraping a white pencil over the dampened surface.
Then I added more light and shadow to the twigs


Step 5
Here you can see how I worked a great deal with the rocks in the foregound,
covering the white dots with a layer of smudged green pastel.
Then I added the leaves with their own shadows to bring them into relief.
More blue in the water gave the painting some depth.



Step  6
I was still not quite satisfied with the result so I finally toned down the background with
a layer of blue. This created a contrast to the white splashing water and more harmony to the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment