Tuesday

Red Cabbage

Red cabbage watercolour 57 x 77 cm © Elizabeth Tyler 



















I've had a request asking me to show which colours I used in my painting "Red Cabbage" featured in the downloadable video A closer look at watercolour painting techniques on "Mindbites".
Colours used in Red Cabbage
All the colours are artist quality from Winsor and Newton and apart from Paynes grey they are in tubes. The reason I use tubes is because my paintings are normally quite large so I mix suitable portions of diluted colour in pots. You can extend the life of expensive brushes a lot by dipping them into diluted colour instead of wearing the bristles down on half-dry tablets.
Paynes grey is the exception though because the intensity of this colour is stronger in tablet form.
The other colours used for this painting were:
Cadmium yellow,
Ultramarine violet,
Cerulean Blue,
Winsor blue (red shade)
Sap green,
Pthalo turquiose,
Quincridone Magenta
and Winsor green ( yellow shade)
Here's a link to W&N's colour chart (no I'm not a shareholder!)
colour chart
If you want to see all the techniques involved in the painting of Red Cabbage, the whole video is available full screen HD (streaming) or on DVD. (PAL or NTSC) as part of the 75 min video  Watercolour Realism produced on license by Pulsar Productions, Australia.

1 comment: