Monday

A new watercolour


The sky and water painted with just two colours
It took me a long time to start painting again after several months occupied with other things.
But I felt I needed to get back to my boat in Greece to find my inspiration.
One morning it was there. The sky before the sunrise, the water reflecting the silhouetted headland and a tiny chapel hiding under the hill.

I started by painting the sky with just two colours: Paynes grey and yellow. I used a lot of water so the colour diluted on the paper




After the sky had dried I painted the headland 
with bold brushstrokes of Paynes Grey.

I painted the church by lifting pigment off the background with a tiny, stiff hakebrush.
I then added the brown colour to the tiled roof.
 The edges of the cliff were softened before adding a little green and brown.
 Finally I broke up the dark water by washing out light reflections with a fine brush and a white watercolour pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment